The LG P970 is the first LG phone with the new NOVA display technology. LG promises the brightest ever seen before display with brilliant colors and contrasts, which is to be both energy efficient. In combination with the 1 GHz single core CPU, 512 MB Ram and a 1500 mAh battery can be assumed so good battery life while preserving a very good performance. With 9.2 mm thickness and 109g weight, it is also one of the thinnest and lightest smartphones in the world and has a very chic and sleek look.
The key data thus schonmal hear extremely well, but my first impressions / experiences with the device are unfortunately not entirely positive. In the following I describe my first impressions with the device, especially in direct comparison to only 270 € expensive Motorola Defy (which I also own):
POSITIVE Review of LG P970 Optimus Black Nova :
- Large 4 “LCD with impressive brightness It’s really very easy to read even in bright sunlight sharp and crisp as the colors are..” Call too loud “Overall, the display is extremely clear and vivid..
- The menu navigation is very fluid, felt a bit smoother than on my Motorola Defy. However, I have, as with the Defy, Go directly to the launcher installed. This is my opinion (and the opinion of many others) is by far the best work surface available for Android. The Standard surface of the P970 is too colorful, but you do not even use.
- Design of the device succeeded completely. It is very flat, stylish and easy. In your pocket you notice it’s almost not at all, because it is so thin and light. Sometimes I’d have to sympathize, if it really is in your pocket. Overall, a real eye-catcher. Most people who see it think first it was an iPhone.
- Micro-USB connector has a side sliding door, no rubber plug
- The camera is really VERY well despite 5MP. The images themselves are quite good in low light and sharp. The flash is very bright, so party succeed in dimmed light images. The photos are actually much better than my Defy.
- Sufficient hardware performance. Complex 3D games like Need for Speed Shift run smoothly and even the internet browser is very fast. Purely to complain about nothing. Its limits, the device comes only with extremely expensive high-end 3D games such as Dungeon Hunters by Gameloft. Here and there a little choppy but still playable.
- Android 2.2 (Froyo) pre-installed, update to 2.3 is announced. About the merits of Android, I probably should not write much. Those who had once come away from it anymore. Numerous apps in the Android Market, and complete freedom with the device. Both in terms of design work surface and all programs used, file formats, SD cards, etc. etc. Just complete freedom.
- The push buttons on the device (power button, volume rocker, and G-button) are not rickety.
The perfect smartphone think unfortunately there’s also a few downsides:
NEGATIVE Factor of LG P970 Optimus Black Nova:
- The casing is made entirely of plastic and creaks. The back of the case (battery cover) has no real closure, etc. as for the Defy, but just a snap. By pressing on the sides of the case, it creaks quite easy and you can feel how the material yields to a minimum. It just does not feel as stable as I would expect from a 400 € expensive equipment. If one drops the device, the back door flies lightly with security.
TIP: Just a piece of toilet paper or more / kitchen roll for under the battery cover (try different locations) so that can be almost completely eliminate the creak.
- The reception is relatively poor. At work I’ve been using the P970 only up to two, but usually only one of 4 bars reception. With the Defy I’ve always 4 out of 5 bars. Glaring difference. Edit: It is because the reception of the P970 worse if you hold it a certain way in your hand. If one out there or keep it for calls to the ear, the reception is rising again slightly. The confirmed number of people in forums. It does therefore not very noticeable when you make or if you have very good reception anyway (eg at home I have full reception in general). To get over a total of, I think.
- The display is very bright and crisp colors it has, but unfortunately the colors look a bit unnatural. It’s as if you take a picture and the colors artificially pulls up, it also seems like a very slight sepia cast (fall only at certain images). LG is able to keep up with here in my opinion, exaggerated by the colors of Samsung’s AMOLED display. Especially for people with photos on it’s skin color sometimes looks unnatural shade of red. The display of the Motorola Defy is not quite as crisp colors, but do these visible natural and comfortable. Do not misunderstand, the display of the P970 is still very good, but with the color fastness is not much to do.
- Viewing angle, and ANSI contrast of the display does not really hit me off the stool. For images with dark / black image contents can be seen even at slightly different angles, that the contrast of the dark image content (the light will remain unchanged) deteriorated. The contrasts are then flutes and intricate details / color gradations are swallowed. I find especially during start-up image of the game “Kingdoms Live”. Here, the display of the Defy visibly more details that the P970 screen simply swallowed.
- The speaker is on the back, which is not exactly optimal, it sounds pretty tinny and not very loud. When Defy much better.
Need more details and price update of LG P970 Optimus Black Nova, click here.